Located 100 kilometres west of Tokyo, and at the base of Mount Fuji in the Fuji national park, Lake Kawaguchi is said to be the most popular of the 5 Fuji lakes. While only 100 kilometres away it still took 2 hours to drive there and a mind blowing 6 hours to drive home.

Apart from a small section of the lake foreshore where busloads of tourists were dropped for the obligatory picture of Mount Fuji I was surprised by how few people were walking the remainder of the foreshore. I did, more through good luck than anything else, mange to park the car on opposite side of the lake from Kawaguchi town which is also the side of the lake with the best views of Mount Fuji.



I managed to choose a clear day to visit the lake with the top of the mountain only obscured by windblown cloud occasionally. Shortly after arriving I was sitting in the car when it started to rock, my first instinct was to look around to see who was rocking the car – then it occurred to me – it was and earthquake, fun.


In amongst the trees on the lake shore there were a number of Café serving good food and cool cool drinks.


The lake is 800 meters above sea level and full of fish (and fishermen). I did spot a few fish in the margins of the lake but didn’t witness any fish actually being caught.




Comments (0)