From the Ohtake shrine the path steepened and headed up through some very rough terrain (going down the other side of the mountain was exactly the same). I was thankful that I had taken the advice of the information person on my first visit to the mountains when he had said that unless I had crampons I shouldn’t try the walk.

 


One of my feelings about Japan was reinforced once I got to the summit of Mount Ohtake, you are never truly alone. Here I was a couple of hours from the nearest road and still surrounded by people.







On a good day you can see Mount Fuji from the top of Mount Ohtake, while you can just make out the shape of Mount Fuji in the photo it was a little cloudy but on a clear day the view from here would be amazing.







The walk from Mount Ohtake to Mount Nokogiri was along a classic ridge lined with cedar forests on each side.





After reaching Mount Nokogiri it was a long descent into the Tama river valley and the Oku-tama train station. One thing that stood out was the number of Japanese people who stopped me to ensure that I wasn’t lost and that I knew where I was heading – truly amazing.

On the descent into the valley I passed the Atagoya shrine, guarded by 2 lions, and then crossed the Tama river to my destination.








Comments (0)