I was out of Japan during the peak week of the cherry blossom period and managed to get these pictures from the Aoyama cemetery on my return. Even though I was a little late the colour and amount of blossoms gives some idea as to just how spectacular the viewing is during this week. As with autumn colour the Japanese weather bureau announces the expected blossoming times and people organise hanami.

Hanami usually involves an outdoor party under the cherry blossom trees. This includes the Aoyama cemetery, which, along with the Shinjuku Gyoen is known as very popular hanami locations. People were still out enjoying the sight of the blossoms and celebrating the beginning of spring even a week after the peak cherry blossom period.


Prior to coming to Japan I couldn’t understand either the autumn leaf or cherry blossom thing. The flowering of the cherry blossom trees coincides with the beginning of spring and occurs on such a great scale that you are forced to take note that the season have changed and the weather is going to warm up. I think that I’m beginning to understand it.
 



Comments (0)